Thursday, November 10, 2011

Fake it till you Make it

This was the very first thing they taught me at P&E's in order to become a good server or manager. I strongly opposed it at first, however, I found it very practical gradually. I don't have a story about it but just thought I'd like to share it with all of you. (Beth you must have a deep understanding of this, don't you? Haha)

A brief summary of my work today:
I bought a card and a little gift (a large bag of M&M's) for Ali. She was so surprised and happy when I handed them to her. She gave me big hug and said that was very sweet of me. I have to admit, she's one of the most mature and successful young ladies I've ever met. 

We had a new server today, she was still being trained and observed so obviously she wanted to impress everybody in the restaurant especially Ali. However, one of the rules of thumb I learnt so far was that never try to do things that you're not told to do or you're not 100 per cent sure about. So this girl arrived at the restaurant early and tried to do some preparation works that she hadn't been trained to do yet. She put a container full with water on the top of the shelf (at the entrance) where we usually put napkins and straws on. As soon as she left, the container fell off and the water was spilled everywhere. It was 5 minutes till the restaurant open and entrance was in a major disaster. Luckily, we cleaned everything up right before opening time. The floor was still a little slippery and I still constantly found random ice cubes around the front desk. The girl was definitely scared, but fortunately, everybody was being very nice and went to comfort her. That's one of the best things I like about this restaurant: the relationships among all workers. They were the nicest co-workers that anybody could ever ask for. 

So today was less busy than yesterday but it still got full before 12. I talked to Paul today. He's the founder of the restaurant,a very nice and funny gentleman. He came in to check on the restaurant every morning before it's open. I don't have a picture of him but I got one from the restaurant's website. 


General Manager Nate Sustick (center) 
and his parents, Paul and Elizabeth Sustick

I forgot to introduce Nate. He is the general manager as well as the head chef. I saw Nate almost everyday and he's also a very nice and generous guy. 

If you want to know more about the restaurant, here's a link: 

But I'll definitely talk about them more in the next few days. It has been a great experience so far.


They're famous for their whole-wheat rolls.


Menu


The front desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment